A smarter, safer way to use your iPhone in the car
CarPlay is an iOS feature that makes using your iPhone simpler and easier while in the car.
Here’s how Apple describes CarPlay:
Available on select cars, CarPlay is a smarter, safer way to use your iPhone in the car. CarPlay takes the things you want to do with your iPhone while driving and puts them right on your car’s built-in display. You can get directions, make calls, send and receive messages, and listen to music, all in a way that allows you to stay focused on the road. Just connect your iPhone and go.
- 9to5Mac first reviewed CarPlay in October 2014: Review: CarPlay has promise, but the road to perfection is long
- In September 2015, 9to5Mac revisited changes to CarPlay through its first major update: iOS 9: The state of CarPlay in 2015 + what’s new
- Software updates in January 2016 delivered the full Apple Music experience to CarPlay: iOS 9.3 Preview: First look at updated Apple Music + Maps apps in CarPlay [Video]
- Apple announced several general enhancements to CarPlay in June 2016: CarPlay in iOS 10: Improved Apple Music, removing & rearranging apps, more
Other CarPlay resources:
- Best CarPlay apps for iPhone
- Wireless CarPlay debuting with 2017 BMW 5 Series Sedan
- Hands-on: Wireless CarPlay arrives in Alpine’s iLX-107 aftermarket receiver [Video]
How to find cars with CarPlay:
Best aftermarket CarPlay options: